Saturday, October 07, 2006

The joy of studying in Japan

It's been 2 years since I fist came to Japan. I've already gotten used to a lot of stuff. When I see newcomers stunning in awe at the things that Japan unveils to our eyes, I look in retrospection and see myself in their astonishment.

I enjoy seeing their ingenuity. It's like the innocence of a child to me. I'm a little ahead in their discovery of Japan, so I'm now immune to notice details, since they are part of my daily life.

However this, I can tell you that I've gone back more than 20 years in time. Now I have to read some texts in Japanese and as I'm still in the literacy process I seat with a classmate to read loud all those characters. Believe me when I say that I feel like a 6-year-old kid who is learning how to read. But I don't feel ashamed of my situation. On the contrary, I feel empowered by the thrill of the challenge.

Yesterday I met my sensei to discuss the proposal of my new research theme. I must admit he's been very patient with me and has always supported my ideas. Having said that, It's also true that he never says much and I will never know what is really crossing his mind. Japanese dimplomacy like I call it. You'll never have a Japanese person telling you what he or she really innermost is thinking about. But I have the impression he appreciates the effort I do and encourages me to go on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home